Monday, 8 February 2016

Internet dependency: a modern problem



Is Aghabullogue nearer to Blarney or Cork?
Is Ireland supposed to have pixies as well as leprechauns?
What's the history of Cork Cathedral?
Is it even called Cork Catherdral, or does it have another name?
Does my editor want his reptile article?
How are my book sales doing this weekend?
So many questions. So few answers.

It's one of those frustrating weekends when I'm visiting the mother-in-law, wondering how she can survive without internet access. I already have a list of unanswered questions waiting for my return home, and it's only been 24 hours.

My husband has a smart phone, but the signal's often not very good. Here I am on Sunday morning, itching to make progress on various writing projects, and coming unstuck at every turn, due to lack of internet access. Meanwhile, hubby and mother-in-law are dozing in bed.

While I sometimes think the internet is too much of a distraction from work, it's easy to see how my work also depends on it, and starts to suffer the moment I'm not connected.

Back in the bad old days, I'd have to wait for the reference library to open, then spend hours trawling through books, looking for answers. I love the internet, but it's very frustrating to be offline when our modern lives are so dependent on it.

7 comments:

  1. I wouldn't write or even self publish a book if it were not for the internet. It is such a basic requirement today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the plus side, there are fewer distractions without the internet. If I didn't spend so much time answering questions on Quora, I might actually get some writing done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this wonderful article. This gives me so much information I need for my very own blog!
    Academic Writing Company UAE

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are in fact wonderful ideas in about blogging. You have touched some good points here. Any way keep up wrinting.
    -----------------------------------
    Boost Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff.
    Jaipur Room Rent

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am truly pleased to read this website posts which carries lots of helpful data, thanks for providing these kinds of statistics.

    Widower dating

    ReplyDelete